Between Austin, San Antonio, Houston & Bryan/College Station
In 1827, Dr. Thomas Jefferson Gazley arrived and set the pace of development. Near this site he built the first house and established the first store, which served incoming settlers and the friendly Lipan and Tonkawa Indians. He worked as Clerk and Secretary in the Mexican government and was granted a Mexican license to practice medicine. Gazley helped write the Texas Declaration of Independence and the Texas Constitution. During the Texas War for Independence, he fought as a citizen soldier-surgeon in the battles of Gonzales, Concepcion Mission, and San Jacinto. After the war he moved to Harrisburg, practiced Probate Law, and was elected to the Second Legislature of the Republic of Texas. Upon returning to Smithville in 1846, he established a riverboat landing to service the Kate Ward, which traveled from Matagorda to Austin. Following his death in 1853, he was first buried here in the Gazley Cemetery, and in 1937 he was reinterred in the Texas State Cemetery in Austin.
Tropical Storm Warning for Harvey
Tropical Storm Warning for Harvey Issued for Bastrop County - Stay Alert! 08/24/2017 While there is still uncertainty with the track, and ...read more >
BURN BAN IN EFFECT
Bastrop County Commissioners Court renewed the county-wide BURN BAN until September 26, 2017.read more >
Water Issue in Downtown Business District
TXDOT hit an 8-inch water main at the intersection of Loop 230 and Main Street late yesterday evening. City crews and TXDOT are in the process of repairing...read more >